Monday, April 9, 2012

Trent Richardson - My Take

I'm a little late to this party, but the more I read and the more I see of Trent Richardson, I want him to be a Cleveland Brown.  I love Blackmon.  I think you need to have a really good WR to be successful in the NFL today, especially if you don't have a great QB.  I think Claiborne is going to be a really really good player.  But I don't see how the Browns can pass on Richardson.

The argument against taking a running back this high is that teams have been able to find running backs later in the draft or as undrafted free agents.  Arian Foster, Michael Turner, and even Peyton Hills are examples of this.  Guys like Ray Rice, Matt Forte, Maurice Jones-Drew, and LeSean McCoy were all second round picks.  I understand that theory and believe it to be somewhat true.


However here's how the current depth chart for the Cleveland Browns looks at RB. 

Montario Hardesty - 28 carries for 288 yards last year and knees like an 80 year old man
Brandon Jackson - missed all of last season
Chris Ogbonnaya - 76 carries for 340 yards and 1 TD

Not exactly Smash and Dash.

The front office let Peyton Hills, their only offensive threat, strut to Kansas City for a one-year 2.6 million dollar contract.

So it's obvious that they will take a running back in this draft.  They have brought in Richardson, Doug Martin, and David Wilson for pre-draft visits.  The other running backs who grade out highly in this draft include Lamar Miller and Chris Polk, and there is decent depth in this draft.  None of those guys are close to the caliber of Trent Richardson, although I do think Doug Martin will be a good NFL running back.

Richardson is widely regarded as the best prospect at running back since Adrian Peterson.  I think Richardson may be actually a little better prospect that Peterson.  He's 5'10 and runs low.  He doesn't put the ball on the ground.  Peterson was faster but had injury concerns and hadn't proven he could catch the football.  He wasn't the pass protector Richardson is, either.  But it's like comparing a Bentley and a Rolls-Royce to me.

Richardson has an unbelievable combination of power and speed.  He's a great blocker and he can catch the football.  He's the total package and would instantly give the Browns a legitimate offensive threat and one that opponents have to gameplan around.  He would give the Browns the ability to control the ball and open up play action for McCoy.  I understand that the NFL is a passing league but you can't get beat if the other team's offense is on the sidelines.  3rd and 1 - the most problematic down for the Cleveland Browns - would not be a problem anymore.  No more sweeps to Armond Smith or handoffs to Alex Smith.

There are little things about Richardson that I really like.  He'll be 21 when he's drafted (7-10-91).  He played behind Mark Ingram so he doesn't have a ton of tread off his tires.  He was a focal point on a National Championship squad, so he's a winner.  He came up big in big games, he's a gamer.  His low running style limits the shots to his legs.

The big-play ability is what puts him over the top for me.  Peyton Hills was the type of back that wore down a defense, but needed 20-25 carries a game to do so.  Pat Shurmur is not exactly a run first coach, preferring to confound a defense with surprise pass plays in spite of his limited QB and WR's.  He's sneaky, that Shurmur.  Richardson has enough speed and burst to take one 60 yards, so he doesn't need a bunch of carries to be a threat.  He's as much of a wear-down, beat up a defense guy as he is a breakaway threat.  He had 4 runs and 1 catch that went for over 50 yards in his junior year.

The only weakness that I hear about him is that his physical running style is going to lead to some wear on his body.  My feeling on this is that you can run into a brick wall enough times that it'll fall down, but it's going to take a while and it isn't going to be easy.

Richardson is workhorse who can pop the big one at anytime.  An absolute stud at running back, like Holmgren had in Seattle with Shaun Alexander and like Shurmur had in St Louis with Steven Jackson.

Richardson would instantly upgrade the Browns offense.  I think he has perennial Pro-Bowl potential, and would give the Browns a dynamic player to take pressure off McCoy and open up the field.  I think he's the best choice at 4 and regardless of positional value I would put him behind only Andrew Luck as a prospect in this draft.




4 comments:

  1. Eric, Richardson is gonna be a great player, but he is going to need to be on a team with a deep threat.

    Browns could take Blackmon and Wright with their two first round picks, a RT with the second and a RB with the third.

    Two home-run WR's, a fresh RB and help along the OL would equate to one sick offense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris - I generally agree and am a Blackmon fan. However if it were me I'd go Richardson, I'd trade up and make sure I got K. Wright, take that RT in the 2nd, and look for that second playmaking WR in the 4th in Jarius Wright, not the biggest guy but a guy whose speed a defense has to respect. I certainly wouldn't be mad at your scenario though!

      Delete
  2. Nice write up Eric. I'm in the Claiborne camp, I think he will have the best overall career. But I expect the Browns to go Offense, and I definitely want Richardson if they do. Blackmon is good. But he played in a pass happy Offense that makes good WRs look great. Look at this list of WRs taken in the 1st round from 2000-2009

    http://www.ultimatenyg.com/2010-articles/may/analysis-of-wide-receivers-taken-in-the-first-round-of-the-nfl-draft-2000-2009.html

    Focus on the guys taken in the top 10. AJ, Fitz and CJ are the only ones out of 16 taken in the top 10 that were worth the value of the pick. Browns fans rabid over Blackmon seem to forget that WRs are far from a sure thing. Cough Braylon Cough

    Richardson is easily the best RB prospect since AP and leaps and bounds ahead of any other RB in this class. The gap between Blackmon and Wright is a lot smaller. I'd be happy standing pat at 22 and taking Hill too. He isn't as polished, but 6'4 with 4.3 speed? Yes please.

    Dream scenario for me is trading with St. Louis, picking up another high 2nd round pick, and grabbing whoever is left between Claiborne, Richardson, Blackmon at 6. This is very unlikely though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks George. I think Claiborne is about as sure a thing as it comes but I think Richardson is on par and fits a big big need.

      I was in the Blackmon camp for a long time, I do think he'll be a really good player. But I agree with you, WR is the hardest position to project next to QB, and the bust possiblity is higher. I don't think the difference between Blackmon and Wright is huge either, and Wright to me almost fits what the Browns need more, in that he can blow the top off a defense and has speed that defenses have to respect. If it were me I'd do everything I could to make sure I got Wright.

      I will admit I did not see a lot of Ga Tech this year, but Hill is intriguing. I normally don't like guys who come out of nowhere and shoot up boards based on workouts, but he has a legitimate reason because of the offense he played in. Bit more of a project, though but I wouldn't be upset if they went that route. I appreciate the insight - should be an interesting next few weeks.

      Delete