Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Mocking the Browns - All 13 picks

I really wanted to get through all the positions and look at some more Browns draft possibilities but I ran out of time.  Which also means that the draft, the greatest annual sports event in Cleveland, is nearly upon us.  That said, I'm going to put together what I would do with the 13 picks the Browns have.  This is by no means what I think they're going to do.  I'm not sure anyone is crazy enough to think they can predict what the Cleveland Browns are going to do in a draft.  These are the guys I would take if I were the Browns brain trust.



4 - Trent Richardson, RB - Alabama  I've been on this train for a little while and have really fallen in love with the idea that the Browns can get a player of this caliber.  I think he's a stud, he can do it all, and I think he's a player that can make the Browns immediately better than they are today.  He should help McCoy with his ability to catch passes and pass protect, not to mention he'll open up the play action passing attack.  I'd love to see this guy in brown and orange and think it will be a huge mistake to pass on him.




22 - Kendall Wright, WR - Baylor  I've been on this one as well for a while.  Wright is not without risk, he's not huge and didn't run a blazing 40.  He played in a spread attack with a great quarterback.  He's not that strong.  I get all that.  I know what he's not.  I also know what he is.  He's an electric playmaker who plays faster than he timed.  He's outstanding with the ball in his hands.  He has the ability to take a 4 yard pass to the house.  He's a tremendous complement to the bigger Greg Little, can play inside or outside the numbers, and would provide a threat to blow the top off a defense.  Adding T-Rich and Wright on Thursday night would be cause for celebration, for both fans and Colt McCoy.




37 - Janoris Jenkins, CB - North Alabama  From everything you hear, this guy has been dropping down draft boards.  He's another guy who comes with his share of risks.  However he has undeniable talent, could be the 2nd best corner in the draft, and would be a tremendous value at this point in the draft.  He would need to be brought in and surrounded by people who can offer him the proper support.  A positive for the Browns would be that he could learn from former Florida teammate Joe Haden, who has been a consummate professional and fixture in the community.  Boom or bust but at this pick I'd take my chances.  IF he's gone, my backup plan would be Josh Robinson, CB, Central Florida.






67 - Mitchell Schwartz, OT - Cal  Could come in and start from day 1 at right tackle.  Started 51 games at Cal and showed well at the Senior Bowl.  Has prototypical size (6'5 318) and long arms.  Think a Ryan Tucker type.  He has a high floor and NFL bloodlines, his brother Geoff plays for the Panthers  The talent drops off considerably at OT after the 3rd round and this position will be addressed on the first two days of the draft in my opinion.  IF he's gone, I'd take Donald Stephenson, OT, Oklahoma.







100 - Nigel Bradham, OLB - Florida State  Another guy who should be able to play early in his career.  Dude is built like the proverbial brick shit house.  Can play either Will or Sam and offers good coverage skills.  Not a tremendous blitzer but a high character, hard working football player who will make it on special teams and should be able to grow into a starting role. 











118 - Trevor Guyton, DT - Cal  I've already gushed over this guy as well, love what he brings to the table in terms of tenacity and versatility.  Another player with a high floor, you know what you'll get out of this guy.  Would provide depth behind Rubin and Taylor and would be an outstanding rotational tackle.









139 - Jarius Wright, WR - Arkansas  I'm obsessed with the idea of adding speed and athleticism to our offense, and I also think that Jarius Wright is going to be a very good professional football player.  If he were bigger (5'9 182) or if this receiver group wasn't so deep, he'd be off the board by this point.  I understand that taking 2 sub six foot wrs is not conventional thinking, but I think the possibility of adding playmakers is of vital importance.  Probably only an inside receiver, he also offers the ability to take a short pass 60 yards and would diversify our offense even more.  Love this guy.





160 - BJ Coleman, QB - Tennessee Chattanooga  I think they'll take a developmental quarterback late and in the 5th they go with Coleman.  Very raw, will require some time but by all accounts is coachable and has some tools to work with.  Started his college career at Tennessee but transferred out.  Could also see them take a Russell Wilson or Darron Thomas, but I'll go with Coleman here.








204 - Lamar Holmes, OT - Southern Miss  Huge man who showed well at the Shrine Game.  The problem may be he's only a RT, but I'd bring him in and give him a shot.  He's got size that can't be taught (6'5 323).








205 - Neiko Thorpe, S - Auburn  Started at free safety and corner in his career, played in a big-time conference but wasn't invited to the combine despite having a fairly impressive college career.  Has good size and speed and could make the Browns with his versatility if he's willing to put in work on special teams.










211 - Tashuan Gipson, CB - Wyoming  Might was well throw darts at a list of names at this point.  Gipson has good size, was honorable mention All-MWC at safety.  He's the pick here because of his versatility.










245 - Scott Solomon, DE - Rice  Hustle, try hard defensive end who was productive at Rice and has the type of intangibles that will make it hard for a coach to cut him.










247 - Adonis Thomas, RB - Toledo  Good running back who doesn't stand out at any one thing but could battle for a roster spot.













That's my shot.  We'll have a good idea less than 24 hours from now on how the front office wants to build this team.  Like I said before, prepare for the worst and hope for the best Browns fans.






2 comments:

  1. So, what if the Vikings take Claiborne? Would the Browns take Kalil instead?

    Guess we find out tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd be stunned but that's certainly happened before! Should be an interesting evening and next few days!

    ReplyDelete