Monday, May 5, 2014

Quick Draft Thoughts.....


I love the draft, but this waiting two extra weeks is brutal.  I'm sick of hearing people blast prospects.  I'm sick of hearing about how Teddy Bridgewater is dropping down draft boards, about how Tom Savage is shooting up them, about how the Browns need to do this or do that.  I'm sick of it all.  Put the draft back where it was.  By the time the draft finally gets here on Thursday every fan of every team is going to be mad about the player that their team drafts because of all the negativity that has been thrown at every prospect coming out.  I'm just ready for it to happen. 

I'm going to say that today, three days before the draft, I trust Ray Farmer.  I like him, I like the way he played out the Alex Mack situation, I like the way he talks to the media, I like the guy.  That said, there are certain things that can happen over the course of the three day draft that will change my opinion of him.  And I reserve the right to waiver in that, because I can convince myself after the fact that it's going to be okay, a la Brandon Weeden.  But still, I am nervous about Thursday.

The Browns needs are pretty clear and pretty well documented.  The three big ones are WR, QB, and CB, followed by OG and LB.  I expect the first three to be filled by picks 4, 26, and 35.  You can tell me all about Brian Hoyer, and I hope he does well, but I'm not ready to anoint him.  If you believe this team is on the cusp of being pretty good, and you don't expect them to be picking in the top 5 anytime soon, then you would expect them to take a quarterback at 4.  That's what I want them to do.  I want Johnny Football.  People in Cleveland, for some unknown reason, are afraid to roll the dice on a quarterback, the most important position in sports.  I don't understand it.  It makes no sense.  If you want to know why the Browns have been so shitty since 1999 it's because they have taken 1 qb in the top 20, that being Tim Couch.  You have to have a good qb to win consistently in the NFL, and I believe Johnny Manziel has the qualities that are needed to be successful and to lead these Browns to the playoffs.  I don't know if Ray Farmer agrees.  We'll soon find out.  I also am a Teddy Bridgewater fan.  I think he's going to be really good, and I just don't understand the criticism he's taking over a poor pro day.  Because that guy can play.  I'd be more than happy with him as well.  The other guy that has been talked about the most is Derek Carr.  I liked him during the season, but I've really really cooled on him.  His footwork is a mess and he's very easily rattled under pressure.  I can't think of a quarterback that has ever overcome an unwillingness to stand in the pocket and deliver.  The bowl game against USC game was an abomination.  People talk about Bridgewater's hand being too small, but they are bigger than Carr's.  So, at 4 I'm hoping for Manziel if they decide to go quarterback.  I'd love Bridgewater at 26 if they went a different way at 4, and I'd hate Carr, anywhere, especially if they have to trade picks to go up from 26 to get him.  This draft is chock full of starters in the mid-rounds.  Please don't trade up for Carr, Mr. Farmer.


The other position that is most talked about at 4 is wide receiver.  The name that has been talked about the most is Sammy Watkins.  I like Watkins, I don't want him at 4.  I get that people saw him torch Ohio State, and I think that's why Browns fans want him so much.  My problem with Watkins is that is he's 6'0 tall, and he never won't be.  I'd rather have Mike Evans, he's 6'5 and you can't coach that.  He's plenty big, plenty fast, his catch radius is ridiculous, and he can go up over cornerbacks and high point the football.  He, Gordon, and Cameron would be lethal.  Watkins will probably be pretty good, I'd bet on Evans being really really good if I were drafting.  If they were to take Manziel at 4 and wait on a wideout, there will be some good ones that will potentially be available at 26.  Odell Beckham is awesome but will probably be gone.  Marqise Lee or Brandin Cooks would look great on the opposite side of Josh Gordon as well.  Allen Robinson, Donte Moncrief, or Cody Latimer will probably be considered as well.  There is tons of wide receiver talent in this draft.  I'm a huge Jared Abbrederis fan and think he'd be a GREAT pick in the 3rd.


And finally, cornerback.  Joe Haden is a stud.  Mike Pettine knows the value of having great corners having coached Revis and Cromartie in New York.  The Browns will be looking for a cornerback, probably as early as 26.  I'd love Darqueze Dennard if he dropped.  That would be ideal.  He has size and swag, two things you need as a corner.  Jason Verrett or Kyle Fuller would be great as well.


So I'm hopeful.  But nervous.  But hopeful.  I'd love to see Johnny Football as a Brown come Thursday.  I'm hopeful that Ray Farmer values the quarterback position more than the previous regimes.  I'm hopeful that we'll have a new wide receiver so that I don't have to watch stonehands Greg Little anymore.  But more than anything I'm just ready for it to happen.  I'll put out a mock draft in the next day or so.  Thursday can't some soon enough.



No comments:

Post a Comment