Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Preseason Week 2


I don't even know why I get excited to watch the Browns, especially in a stupid meaningless preseason game.  But I was, and then I sat through that disgusting display of offensive ineptitude, rivaling the Pat Shurmur offensive superpower of just a few seasons ago.

I really don't have much to say.  I can't understand how a team can consistently change offensive philosophies but still look the same bit of awful every year.  I get that it was the preseason, and it takes time.  I get it.  But knee jerk reactions are the way of the world, and the knee jerk reaction was that this offense STUNK up Landover last night.

The first team defense played well.  That's about the only silver lining on this one.  The Redskins were bailed out on their only long drive of the first half by multiple calls of defensive holding and illegal contact, including one on a 3rd and 19.  The NFL is such a joke now when it comes to the selective enforcement of the rules, one can only hope that this doesn't carry over to the regular season.  Games have been unwatchable, averaging something ridiculous like 19 penalties per game this preseason.  Regardless, the Browns first unit put together an impressive goal line stand.  The line looks stout, Dansby looked good, and the secondary is going to be good.  They forced turnovers, which is going to be a key to the Browns season.  Jim Leonhard had a nice pick 6, he should be a valuable backup.  Hopefully he can stay healthy.

As far as the second team, there were no standout performances.  Royce Adams probably played himself off the team after a rough performance.  But all and all no one really jumped out with the backups.

That brings us to the offense.  First off, I've said I think this will be Manziel's football team, and soon.  And I still think that.  I think that Hoyer should start some games and will probably be replaced at some point, and then it's Johnny's team.  That's the ideal scenario for me.  The problem is that Hoyer has looked like absolute garbage.  Everyone wants to blast Manziel and critique his performance, well all this could be avoided if Hoyer, a 6 year veteran, would just go out and complete few passes, move the ball, and score a touchdown or two.  Then I think we'd all be comfortable with the decision to start him, at least for the beginning of the season.  But he has flat out stunk this preseason.  I'm sorry, I know that Brian Hoyer defenders don't want to hear it.  And for some reason you can't like Hoyer without hating Manziel, which I don't understand.  I'm a Johnny Football fan bigtime but I don't dislike Hoyer.  But I'll tell the truth, and that truth is that Hoyer has stunk, and Johnny Football has played like a rookie.

One side note - why do have have plays that take 10 seconds to recite?  Chip Kelly calls his plays off a giant card on the sideline, 1 freaking word.  We have our rookie quarterback out here playing neanderthal football, memorizing 20 word play calls.  It should be fast and easy for him.  Uptempo is the trend, keeping pressure on a defense.  We are still playing 1980's football.  Stupid.  Anyways....

If Hoyer even plays marginally well I think that Pettine names him the starter and we all move forward.  But he just hasn't.


And Pettine deserves some blame for this circus.  Splitting reps and alternating series is not the way to go.  There is no chemistry, and that's the problem.  There are other problems for sure, but that's a big one.  Now we get to continue this into the 3rd preseason game.  Whatever the case, the offense stinks right now.  Hoyer hasn't gotten a first down all preseason.  Alex Mack is already in midseason form, forgetting the snap count on the first play.  Mitchell Schwartz, I'm done defending you I do it all the time and you keep getting put on roller skates.  The second team offensive line should be replaced in total.  The hardest hit a Brown had yesterday was Terrance West running over Alex Parsons, who was just standing there instead of blocking anybody.  They aren't very good.

Josh Gordon had NO interest in being out there yesterday.  Not sure if this possible suspension is in his head but he looked awful.  Jordan Cameron same thing.  Awful.  No effort as a blocker, minimal effort as a pass catcher.  Not sure what the problem was there.  Honestly Willie Snead looked like the only receiver with any energy yesterday.  Not that that quarterbacks put the ball on them that often, but c'mon.  Maybe our receivers are as bad as everyone says they are.

I'm not sure what else to say.  Maybe it's an overreaction to a preseason game.  Probably.  But it was bad enough that there are now serious concerns with this offense.  They need to get it figured out and soon, they have 19 days until the opener. 


Hopefully by then, we'll know who is number 1.  (I thought it was hilarious btw).




2 comments:

  1. Looks like they named Hoyer this morning. Obviously, that means they weren't going by on-field performance, or it would have been a coin flip between Connor Shaw and Colt McCoy. (McCoy is tied for first when it comes to touchdown passes to the Browns...)

    I think naming Hoyer is very much the move of a defensive coach. I know he's only got two quarters of action since the knee injury, but what previously established level of excellence are we expecting him to return to?

    I'm putting $5 on Johnny starting after the bye week (unless we somehow open 3-0). By the by, I'm fine with Johnny flipping the bird, so long as he stops throwing ducks =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA good call on Colt McCoy. I think it's the right move, and I agree with you that after the bye seems like a good time to make a switch provided they aren't 3-0 or 2-1, which seems unlikely given the schedule. You can always to to Johnny, you can't go back to Hoyer, so I get it. Should be interesting as always, but hopefully Hoyer looks better than he has on Saturday against the Rams.

      Delete