Friday, April 26, 2013

On Mingo

 

I'll admit I was nervous when the Browns came onto the clock yesterday.  I would've been okay with Milliner, and okay with a trade down.  But I was not surprised, and I was not upset in the least, when they announced the pick of Barkevious Mingo.  I was happy in a way, because it was a good first pick by Banner and Lombardi.  They understand the need to get to the quarterback, and that's where they've built this entire offseason.  Adding Mingo to Kruger, Groves, and Sheard gives the Browns some legitimate edge rushers.  Pair that with Taylor, Desmond Bryant, Rubin, Winn and Hughes and the Browns should be able to have a fresh defensive front with some serious young talent.  Successful teams are able to get to the quarterback, and with a defensive coordinator like Ray Horton, who is known as one of the best, most creative, and most aggressive coaches in the NFL, the Browns front should give a lot of teams problems.  I'm sure there are experts who don't like the pick, I'm sure there are fans that don't like the pick.  I love the pick, I think it's the right way to build.



Mingo was used as a hand in the ground defensive end at LSU.  He was responsible for contain in most of LSU's defensive looks.  He was not an ears pinned back pass rusher like a Jarvis Jones, and his stats look underwhelming because of that.  However the same argument I used for Dion Jordan I'll use for Mingo.  There are only so many people on the planet who are that big, fast, and athletic.  I heard the Browns liked Mingo better than Jordan.  If you only watch one of the videos here - watch the Clemson game, where he was basically turned loose.  He's the first one off the ball on almost every play, uses counter moves to set up the tackle, and shows explosion and burst.  Horton should have a blast developing a player with this kind of athleticism.

 


The argument against the pick is "Who is going to play corner?"  I do believe the Browns will select a cornerback, either tonight or tomorrow.  If that player can't come in and start, then it'll be Chris Owens.  Or they'll sign someone, like a Quintin Jammer or Jacob Lacey.  I do know it's easier to play corner when you're getting pressure on the QB, and that even the best corners get beat by quarterbacks who have all day to throw.

Long story short I really like the pick.  I think it was the right move, and I'm looking forward to watching Barkevious, Paul Kruger, and Jabaal Sheard getting after the quarterback.  It should be a slow day today unless the Browns can add picks, and I'd look for a corner or safety in the third.  Maybe David Amerson, Leon McFadden or Jordan Poyer.

4 comments:

  1. Eric,

    No doubt they got one of the coolest names like, maybe ever! So let the games begin.

    And so in that vein, I'll be the first to say it: I hope his "Barkevious" isn't worse than his "Biteavious." :)

    Yeah I know you could have waited all day for that. I have to say I wouldn't have made that pick, but I do understand the thinking that if you have more pass rush, the less you expose your cover guys.

    Soooooo we'll just wait-n-see. Hey! Look on the bright side, you won't have to sue Jimmy Haslett for a new liver!

    Do you believe that crazy Cowboy thought process? Boy howdy I sure don't. Heck, I'd have put a dollar bet that Jerrah was gonna take Honey Badger with that pick. Seriously. Take care,

    UC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah that Cowboys pick was a head scratcher but hey if they guy comes and plays center for 10 years no one will remember where they picked him. I thought Cowboys for Matheiu also, seemed too perfect. Or the Bengals I suppose, but they had a great draft so maybe it's time to quit picking on them. Cowboys did get one of my favorite players in Devonte Holloman - I think he makes it.

    As for the Browns, seems they took the wait til next year approach, but they started a ton of rookies last year and it's time to develop them. If they aren't what they thought they'd be they'll take their replacements in 2014. Should be interesting anyway. Take Care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cowboys got absolutely taken in the first round. Reasonable people can agree/disagree on the quality of Frederick but he had a 99% shot of being available in the 2nd round. That trade with the 49ers, I don't know what JJ was thinking on that one. Then again, Jerruh is the only one who thinks he's a genius: Tony Romo being the recipient of $105 Million worth of rather retarded largesse is proof positive that he's not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAHAHA - everything you said is true.

    ReplyDelete